Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Celtic fan jailed for four years over Old Firm stabbing

A CELTIC supporter who repeatedly stabbed a Rangers fan in a "frightening and vicious attack" hours after an Old Firm match was yesterday jailed for four years.
Shaun Duffy, 30, knifed Brian Duncan in Glasgow's Springcroft Bar and Diner.
Duncan was left with serious spinal injuries and still suffers pain, months after the attack.
The High Court in Dunfermline heard that Duffy, an offshore worker, became involved in an argument after bar staff said drinkers entering the pub could not wear football colours.
Brian, his brother Colin and friends had gone to the pub in the city's Baillieston on December 27 last year after watching Rangers lose 1-0 to Celtic at Ibrox that day.
Duffy - a father-of-two - was sitting in the busy bar nearby.
The court was told that the accused and Colin later became involved in a fight.
Brian - who had been playing pool - saw the incident and rushed to help his brother.
But Brian, 37, was pushed to the ground before Duffy pulled out a knife and stabbed him in the chest and neck.
Simon Bowie, prosecuting, said Brian was unable to stand up after being attacked.
Duffy fled the scene as other drinkers attended to his victim.
Brian lost two litres of blood on the way to hospital and had to be resuscitated.
Doctors believed his injuries were a significant threat to his life. He has been left with a lack of feeling in his fingers and his lower legs.
Mr Bowie added: "He was a keen footballer but is unable to do that and does not now socialise."
Duffy handed himself in to police weeks after the incident.
The court was told he had previous convictions for football-related violence and served three years in jail for a previous assault to the danger of a victim's life.
Duffy, of Borthwick Street, Garthamlock, Glasgow, admitted assaulting Brian to the danger of his life.
Tony Graham, defending, said: "There's no situation where this sort of violence can be tolerated by society.
"He is a man who can remain free of intoxicants when working offshore but succumbs to alcohol abuse when on shore leave.
"He was in a pub, he was drunk and something that started as a minor argument escalated and he offers no excuse for that."
Imposing the jail term, judge Lord Woolman said the attack was "life-threatening".
He said: "You carried out a frightening and vicious attack on Brian Duncan. It is only chance you do not face a charge of murder.
"You have 11 previous convictions - five for breach of the peace, one football-related and a 2005 conviction for an assault with a bottle.
"Your victim required emergency treatment and lost two litres of blood - this was life-threatening.
"If you had been convicted after trial, you would have had six years in prison - but as you pled guilty the sentence will be four years."
Duffy smiled at supporters on the public benches as he was led to the cells.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...