Showing posts with label seats. Show all posts
Showing posts with label seats. Show all posts

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Ibrox ban on Celtic fans

Thursday 27 January 1994
CELTIC supporters have been banned indefinitely from Ibrox, which Rangers claim has been vandalised once too often.
Rangers say it has cost them more than £20,000 to repair damage caused by Celtic ticket holders at Old Firm matches played at Ibrox since March 1992.
Rangers add that several attempts have been made to persuade Celtic that they should accept responsibility for their supporters' behaviour.
''With reference to the most recent encounter, on October 30, 1993, we have been corresponding with Celtic on a regular basis,'' said Rangers' chairman David Murray, ''and it is perfectly clear from their letters that they accept no responsibility whatsoever for this vandalism. The cost following that match to repair damage was #7800 and we can no longer tolerate this type of destruction.''
Mr Murray added: ''The board of directors has taken the decision to withhold all ticketing allocations to Celtic Football Club in respect of our next scheduled league match at Ibrox on Saturday, April 30. Tickets will be available only to Rangers supporters.
''We regret the matter has reached this point. However, due to the intransigent attitude of Celtic Football Club and their lack of responsibility with regard to the behaviour of their supporters' behaviour, we believe no other course of action is now available to us.'' Rangers wrote to Celtic on Tuesday informing them of the ban.
Celtic chairman Kevin Kelly said: ''This matter was raised at the Scottish League management committee last week when it was agreed that clubs should be responsible only for their own grounds.
''We have suffered damage at Celtic Park but prefer to keep it quiet rather than draw attention to the kind of people who do these things. However, banning another club's fans is a dangerous action to take.''
Mr Murray says that the problem hit him suddenly while he was writing a cheque for #142,000 to be paid to Celtic for Rangers' ticket allocation at the last Old Firm match at Celtic Park on New Year's Day. It struck him that he was collecting for Celtic when in return their fans go to his ground and cause damage.
''They don't buy our programmes or eat our fast food. But they do smash our seats,'' he said.
Rangers also say that they have to pay an added #12,000 on their police bill when Celtic visit. Mr Murray does not fear a backlash with Celtic refusing to give tickets to Rangers' fans. He knows, of course, that Celtic, who are more than #5m in debt, cannot afford to go without the money generated by Rangers' supporters.
Mr Murray also knows he can sell out Ibrox when Celtic play even without their supporters.
There is no law in the game which states that clubs must give their opponents tickets and Mr Peter Donald, secretary of the Scottish League, said: ''It is most unfortunate and there is no doubt that part of football's attraction is the atmosphere which can be generated by supporters of opposing clubs.''
Mr Gerry Madden, general secretary of Celtic FC supporters' association, said he was surprised at the move. His group has spoken to the police seeking a solution to the vandalism and added: ''If someone would give us the sophisticated video evidence which Rangers say they have, perhaps we could do something.
''I hope there will be a change of heart because this is supposed to be the greatest club game in the world.''
Mr Peter Rafferty, chairman of the Affiliation of Registered Celtic Supporters' Clubs, said: ''We have to hope this is not an end to the matter and that there will be room for some kind of compromise.''

Ibrox ban on Celtic hits youth match

Tuesday 12 April 1994

THE dispute between the Old Firm, with Rangers refusing Celtic's supporters entry to Ibrox, has spilled over into a youth match which will be played at Ibrox this evening forcing Celtic to make the strongest possible protest to the Scottish Football Association.
Rangers, who claim Celtic's fans have been causing damage to their stadium over the past 10 years, are refusing to allow opposition supporters into seated areas during tonight's BP Scottish Youth Cup semi-final tie, a decision which has disappointed and angered the directors at Parkhead.
Rangers are demanding more than £7000 compensation from Celtic, claiming their fans caused damage to seating in the Broamloan Stand, and when the Old Firm meet at Ibrox on Saturday, April 30, there will be no Celtic fans in attendance.
However, Celtic's directors felt that the dispute would have been set aside this evening, when they say their supporters will be mainly family groups wishing to do no more than watch youngsters play in the under-18 cup competition. But despite negotiations, faxes, and approaches to the SFA, under whose auspices the BP cup is run, Celtic have been told they can use the east standing enclosure in front of the main stand.
Only if more fans than that area can accommodate -- 3462 -- turn up will Rangers allow part of the stand to be opened up to Celtic's fans.
Naturally, Celtic believe Rangers are extending the ban imposed for major games and came close to withdrawing from the tournament, but decided to play on because it would have been unfair on their own younger players, who will be trying to win a place in the final against Airdrie.
''However, we feel we must protest over the manner in which our supporters are to be treated at Ibrox for this match,'' said director Dominic Kean. ''After all, the youth cup is a time when we should be celebrating the good things in football, and should have nothing to do with the game's politics. People, families, want to go and watch their own playing a game.''
Jim Farry, chief executive of the SFA, said that, under the circumstances, there would be a degree of sympathy for Celtic within the association and added: ''Two heads need to be knocked together, one at Ibrox and the other at Celtic Park. Someone should be doing the knocking, and soon.''
Relations between the clubs could be improved at the weekend when Brian Dempsey returns from the US.

Saturday, December 7, 2013

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/motherwell-v-celtic-smoke-bombs-let-off-at-fir-park-1-3224112

CELTIC saw another exceptional display on the pitch last night soured by fresh controversy involving their supporters as damage was caused to a section of Fir Park.

Seats in the south stand, where the bulk of a 6000 travelling support were situated, were ripped out during Celtic’s crushing 5-0 win over Motherwell which stretched their lead at the top of the Premiership to five points.

SPFL match delegate Alan Dick and Celtic’s head of security Ronnie Hawthorn inspected the affected area after the match. A Motherwell spokesman

indicated that the matter would be dealt privately between the clubs. Smoke bombs and flares were also let off by fans in the same stand before and during the match. Celtic are currently subject to disciplinary proceedings from both the SPFL and Uefa for banners displayed by the Green Brigade section of their support at recent home matches.

Celtic fans direct sectarian abuse at Motherwell manager

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/bad-behaviour-in-the-stands-but-celtic-are-good-as-gold-on-the-pitch.22895889

The only cloud on their night was the behaviour of a section of their huge travelling support. A number of smoke bombs and flares were set off from behind the away end goal.

Before kick-off, and again after their opening goal, they discharged them in the stand and even threw a couple of smoke bombs on to the pitch. It was depressingly witless. Flares have been in the news all week on both sides of the border, especially after one was thrown from the Rangers end at Falkirk on Saturday. Some in the Celtic crowd could not resist dragging their own support into the controversy. Singing about Stuart McCall being a "sad orange b******" was also pretty brainless, and after the game it was clear a number of seats had been damaged in the away end too.

Celtic supporters riot at Motherwell

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-could-face-spfl-investigation-2900317

FANS damaged seats and threw smoke bombs at Fir Park last night as Celtic faced Motherwell in the Scottish Premiership.

SPFL delegate Alan Dick held lengthy discussions with police at the visitors’ end after the game.

A Motherwell spokesman said: “The matter will be dealt with privately between the clubs.”

But Celtic could now face an SPFL investigation on top of the UEFA probe into inappropriate banners displayed recently before their game with AC Milan


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2519675/Efe-Ambroses-night-Fir-Park-spoiled-Celtic-fans-ripping-seats-letting-flares-5-0-Motherwell-win.html

Efe Ambrose celebrated the best day of his life in spectacular fashion – on a night when a 5-0 Celtic win over Motherwell was marred by the actions of visiting fans at Fir Park.

Neil Lennon’s men swept to victory but could yet face disciplinary repercussions, as away supporters in the South Stand damaged seats and let off flares and smoke bombs before and during the game. 

SPFL match delegate Alan Dick inspected the damage post-match and, depending on the content of his report, the visiting support may end up souring memories


In England, the Barclays Premier League have already launched an official campaign designed to combat the increasing use of flares and smoke bombs inside stadiums.
The campaign is a measured response to the unfortunate chain of events at Villa Park in October that led to the assistant referee Dave Bryan being struck by a flare thrown from the Tottenham end during the match between Aston Villa and Spurs.





Celtic fans in Fir Park outrage

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/5310685/Celtic-fans-in-Fri-Park-outrage.html

CELTIC fans brought shame on the club last night after ripping up seats a rivals’ ground then daubing them with offensive IRA slogans.

Yobs rampaged through the South Stand at Motherwell’s Fir Park ground.

During the match dozens of seats were ripped up, metal frames bent out of shape, 18 smoke bombs, three fireworks and a flare were let off and IRA slogans left on chairs which were covered with stickers from the controversial Green Brigade.

F*** you Lawwell — a reference to Celtic’s Chief Executive Peter Lawwell — was scrawled on another chair.

Scottish Professional Football League and Celtic security delegates were inspecting the damage.

Celtic — who won the league match 5-0 — are subject of a UEFA hearing after the Green Brigade unfurled banners depicting William Wallace and Irish hunger striker Bobby Sands before November’s Champions League tie with AC Milan.

A police spokesman said: “Inquiries are on going.”





Celtic fans tear up seats and throw flares during Motherwell riot

6th December 2013

Celtic fans rioted at Fir Park, Motherwell last night. Damage to the ground was described by BBC Scotland as "the worst ever damage inside a Scottish football ground".




















Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...