Thursday, September 10, 2009

American receives death threats from Celtic fans

http://www.tribalfootball.com/rangers-midfielder-edu-receives-death-threats-305701

09.09.09 | Andrew Slevison

Rangers midfielder Maurice Edu has revealed he received death threats from soccer hooligans.

The US international has told of how he was the subject of intense abuse from rival fans and even had a cell phone thrown at him whilst on the pitch.

The 23-year old said the abuse had come from Celtic fans and he said he is still startled by the amount of heckling that goes on at Old Firm (Rangers v Celtic) matches.

"It gets pretty crazy because the rivalry runs so deep. It goes deeper than football and into religion - Catholics and Protestants,” he said.

"My first game with the team was at Celtic Park.

"I remember just warming up on the sidelines and you could hear the fans heckling you and throwing things. One of them even threw a cell phone at us.

"I thought 'This is just kind of crazy'. But it's where I want to be and I want to experience things like this on a more regular and consistent basis.

"As much as I didn't want to be heckled and take that abuse from the fans, you have more appreciation for that type of atmosphere. I enjoyed it."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...